Re: [MV] M8 and M20 and other Ford "code" names

jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:42:09 -0500

I will try to make some sense out of the letter "codes" used on Ford MV's which may answer Doug's questions.

DOUG wrote:
>>A while back there was a thread about how to decode US Ordinance
>vehicle>codes eg DUKW, CCKW.........

Please note that these are not Ordinance codes but are General Motors codes for their vehicles.

>>Frank Robertson and I have been discussing the M8 Greyhound and
>M20>vehicles and wonder if anyone knows if the correct code for an M20>is
>GBK? ........

The Ford Motor Co. model designation for the M-20 Armored Car is GBK.

>>A) Does this code apply to the Greyhounds too?

No. The Ford model designation for the M-8 Armored Car is GAK.

>>B) Does "G" stand for FORD as in GPW?

No. The "G" in the model designation indicates the unit is a Government vehicle. This is the same for all vehicles and other items designed for the Govt.

>>C) What does the "B" mean?

Nothing, it's just a letter

>>D) I think someone said that the "K" means 6x6, have I got that right?

Not for Ford vehicles. The "K" here is just a letter and does not stand for anything.

>>E) Why is it 3 letters instead of 4?

That's all that was needed for this model designation.

That said, I will try to explain the Ford letter model designations for military vehicles. I put together a list for an article in the September 1994 issue (No. 45) of Military Vehicles which gives all the Ford "G" designations.

Most people think that the letter designations used by Ford MUST stand for something. This is why the "General Purpose Willys" old wives tale for the meaning of GPW just won't die.

When Ford Motor Co. started to get orders for Government vehicles and other items they decided to use a different system of model designations than their standard civilain models. All would start with the letter "G" to indicate the order was a Government one. Then letters were added to the G to differentiate the various orders and vehicles. The first being the GAA, a 1100 cubic inch 8 cylinder tank motor (used in the M-4 tank). When the next order came in they just went to the next letter in the alphabet. Here are some examples;
GAA = 1100 c.i. tank motor
GAB = British tank motor, 12 cyl.
GAC = 12 cyl. tank motor
GAD = M4 medium tank project
GAE = 90 hp V-8 motor for British Universal Carrier
GAF = 8 cyl. tank motor for T-25, T-26
GAG = Glider and troop transporter (GC-4A)
GAH = Anti-aircraft gun director (M-7)
GAJ = Weapons carrier (4wd, 98" wb, 6cyl engine, truck)
GAK = light armored car T-22 (M-8)
After going through the alphabet to GAZ they then started again with GB, then later GC and so on.

OK, by now you should get the picture. The letters simply follow in order. When the 1/4 ton Command and Reconnaissance truck order came along it just happened to be given the letter model designation of GP. The W was later added to indicate the unit had the Willys designed 60 hp motor.
In the case of the T-26 armored car (M-20) it simply came after;

GBH = Distributor head - Scintilla design of Allison 12 cyl engine
GBJ = Distributor head - Curtis-Wright 18 cyl engine
GBK = Command utility car T-26 (M-20)
GBL = fan drive assembly for tank engine
.........and so on.

Now you know the "code" for Ford military orders.

Just to make you M-8/M20 guys crazy.......... With the M-8 there were 1,512 changes made to the vehicle during the production run and 499 changes made to the M-20. Now you know why all the other M8/M20's seem to be a bit different!

Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
Great Lakes Chapter MVPA
Ohio Motor Pool Chapter MVPA