Re: [MV] Y2K and valve recession

Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 07:32:59 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith, Steve <Steve.Keith@compaq.com>
To: 'John Edwards' <edwardsj@bigpond.com>; Richard Notton
<Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk>; Brandon <c322348@yahoo.com>; MV list
<mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 19 November 1999 13:37
Subject: RE: [MV] Y2K and valve recession

Hi All,

Many thanks to all those who responded, the deluge of mail here (!) would
_suggest_ unleaded fuel in older MV's isn't indeed such a huge problem.

>It is my understanding that MEL is one of thee most dangerous substances on
>this planet to humans. The 'lead substitutes' are usually some form of
>sodium and not lead. Usefulness is questionable as far as I am concerned.

TEL is indeed about as noxious thing as you'd ever wish to meet, in its
concentrated liquid form as is injected with refined raw fuel into an n thousand
ton storage tank, the chemists who make it tell me one drip on the skin or a
good sniff of the vapour causes death within one minute.

The proven substitutes do indeed generally use a sodium base, I do stress
proven, we know of four only here. Everything else is a complete unknown and
could be good for your engine or their bank account; personally the latter is
considered most likely.

For the Brit listees, go tell your non-net MV friends, the FBHVC approved
"Valvemaster" from Ass. Octal. Co. is available from the Castrol distributors
and is currently on offer at 6 x 250ml bottles for the price of 5 and carriage
free, at £5.99 a bottle this is about 30 quid the lot. It is added at
1ml/1litre (1:1000) and is enough to last years, the product distribution is
being set up to local depots now, call them on 01954 231668 for mail order.

Aussies, my understanding is that its been down there for some time, certainly
NZ have had the stuff for years and govt approved too. Email me off list and
I'll call Ass.Octal here for contact info if you require.

I have no connection to the company, just that I can remember the name, the lab
tests were good, the added fuel cost is low and they're an industrial
multi-national that's been around for 80 years or more.

Richard
(Southampton UK)