Re: [MV] MB steering column repair

Buzz (buzz@softcom.net)
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 10:52:44 -0800

Lars,
I've had the same problem and solved it by using epoxy as the insulator.
=46irst rough up the area on the shaft where you will mount the brass =
sleeve with
emory cloth. This is done to give the epoxy a "tooth" to adhere to.
Prepare the sleeve in the same way and tin the sleeve where you intend to=
solder
the horn wire.
Next, clean the shaft and the sleeve with a non-petrolem solvent like =
lacquer
thinner or brake cleaner. =20
Mix up a batch of epoxy and smear it on the shaft, then position the =
sleeve where
you want it. Now use toothpicks (the flat type work best) to space the =
sleeve off
of the shaft.=20
Wipe off the excess epoxy and let if cure over night.
When you solder the horn wire, tin the wire first, then using a large =
soldering
iron, solder the wire to the sleeve and quickly cool it with a damp =
sponge.
I guess that you could also solder the wire to the sleeve before epoxying=
it but
I've never tried it.
I have also used Loctite to hold a sleeve in place when the insulator is =
still
intact. For the loctite to work cleanliness is a MUST.
Good Luck,
Buzz