[MV] Navy truck markings

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 09:21:27 PST

Hello Listers!

I'm gonna ask this question, and I don't want any cat calls from my fellow
Marines!

I am in the process of grinding off this hideous pseudo-desert camouflage paint
job off of my truck. (It wouldn't have been that much of an issue, but the
knucklehead who did it didn't take the time to prep the truck correctly, and the
whole thing looks very humble...)

I am useing a nice grey primer that really does look pretty spiffy. As there
are two other trucks in the area interested in going Marine Corps Green, I'm
going to wait until they are ready to shoot, and see if we all want to go in on
a batch of paint together (all of us are either WW2 or Korea USMC trucks).

In the meantime, I'll have this good looking grey truck.

Well, I figure, since me pappy was in the Navy, and I have good feelings about
our sister service, it would be a nice gesture to slap a set of Navy markings on
the truck for now, and fly Navy colors for a while. (This is also in
preparation of a typical Marine Corps evolution- I'm gonna park the truck in
Chris Davis' driveway one night, and then "acquire" it from myself, paint it
green, and swear up and down that I had it the entire time - never mind that the
green paint is still wet...)

ANYWAY: Any body remember the basic markings for a navy truck? I think it was
as simple as the Marines, with "USN" followed by a six digit serial number on
both sides of the hood and the tailgate, in flat black 2 inch to 3 inch letters.
Can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks!

Bill Benson