Re: [MV] RE: Engine block heater for 6.2 L CUCV Diesel

From: dkuhn@mail.arl.mil
Date: Thu Dec 02 1999 - 11:30:12 PST

The 6.2L will start reliably well in cold weather if you install a new set of
glow plugs,and have a strong set of batteries.If you absolutely have to use
a coolant heater,most 6.2L's will heat nicely with a 1KW recirc.heater,spliced
into the heater hoses.There are other heaters which fit in the bottom rad.hose
which you can buy,but don't quite work as well as a recirculating type heater.
   My experience with them has proven them to be position sensitive,with
relation to engine block vs.heater location.Try to get the heater as low as
possible in the body,as under the battery mount on the pass. side.
   To my knowledge,no block heater was issued,just the winterization kit
which heated the engine,trans pan and batteries via a fuel-fired heater.
Can't say I've ever seen one installed on a CUCV.I do know they exist as
a "winterization kit". You could try a freeze plug heater,available at auto
parts
 stores in many sizes to fit freeze plug holes in the block...

Just my 2cents,not that of Army Research Lab......
Dave Kuhn
Churchville,MD