Re: [MV] Mutt Stuff (and HMMWV stuff)

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 1999 - 12:11:25 PST

John presents an excellent point of view. I am not going to say that he is
wrong, but I do wish that the Government would stop trying to take the
decision of my safety out of my hands in this case. I will admit that I am
picking and choosing here, because other safety related legislation has
done much to keep me alive. In this case, however, I operated an M-151A2,
as well as a Humm-Vee, with no problems. Whether this was the luck of the
draw or not, I cannot say, but I was successful in avoiding problems.

It appears to be a case where I am saying, "Legislate the rest of the
people, but leave me alone, 'cause it'll never happen to me!"

This may be folly, but I know under what conditions I am planning on
driving these things, and I don't feel that I need Ralph Nader looking over
my shoulder. I also believe that, as I understand the risks of driving
these things, if I overload my butt and get hurt because I wasn't paying
attention, that's my own fault, and I have nobody to blame but myself...

Ah well, at least I have my M-37...

Bill Benson