[MV] Reactions from non-MV people

From: Bob Kelly (rkelly@firstunion-reit.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 08:08:36 PST

Mark J. Blair, KE6MYK <mblair1@home.net> said:

"I then further explain how the majority of vehicles and
personnel in the military mainly move people and supplies around, and
how most green vehicles aren't mobile assault platforms.

The average guy on the street just doesn't have a tiny sliver of a
clue about the military!"

    You know, its funny. The reactions I have gotten are quite interesting
among my friends, co-workers and my nieghbors has been pretty interesting. I
purchased a Ford GPW recently.
    My boss, with I luckily have a good drinking buddy level relationship,
thinks it would be funny to pick up some of our corporate bigwig visitors
from the airport with it and him riding standing up, saluting,a-la Patton,
with the silver helmet and all.
    My other boss (it's confusing around here) jokingly called me a
"hillbilly" because I have a few guns, hunt various in season game and not
only own an old jeep, but (attempt) to do my own work on it. I live in
Cleveland and I can understand his ignorance as I don't believe he's ever
been anywhere where there wasn't an electric light within a couple hundred
feet. I wasn't too offended also, as I know what a "Hillbilly" with a
capital "H" is and I am not even close.
    My friends are not really sure what to think but generally think my jeep
is pretty damn cool. Everyone says "If my father/grandfather/uncle/whatever
saw this they would go nuts 'cause they used to drive one of these in the
Army/Navy/Marine Corps." I always tell them to bring them over, they are
welcome to see it. Who knows, maybe they will be able to tell me something
interesting about it.
    When I first brought it home, the folks that live across the street
stopped by. I've only spoken to this guy a couple of times as I recently
moved. He told me his kids, who in my opinion are old enough to know better,
said "Daddy, Daddy, the guy across the street just drove a TANK into his
garage!!!". So he came over, by himself, to see for himself. I told him to
bring his kids over if they want to see it and get in and as soon as I got a
chance, I would give them a ride, if he didn't care. Once there, it was all,
"wow, neat, is this all there is?, does it have power steering?, is it 4
wheel drive?, does it have a machine gun? on and on with the questions. He
did seem a little concerned when I told him that, yes, eventually, I would
be putting a .30 cal. machine gun replica or semi-conversion on top. I
really don't care if hes concerned, its legal and my business.
    My other nieghbor, with whom I get along much better, has offered to
help me work on it, lent me tools and offered painting tips. His kids
actually got rides. The other fella never came back with his kids.
    I bought my GPW in North Carolina, about a 500 mile trip one way. As I
was towing the jeep back on a trailer, everywhere I stopped to gas up or
eat, someone would come by and say " I have been following you and pulled
off with you to see your jeep. Is that the real thing? Was it one of those
$50.00 ones? (I assured them it certainly was not), Is there a gun?" and on
and on.
    I have thouroughly enjoyed having the jeep and even though I havent been
able to actually take it on the road (titles take time through your local
courts!), and it is slowly being stripped down to the frame by me. I have
only had it a few months and I don't evn think I have hit the tip of the
iceburg for strange reactions from the generally ignorant (and I say that in
the nicest way) people that live in my area.

regards,

Bob Kelly