Re: [MV] Of Mutts and Men...

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 21:06:59 PST

>Sadly, the government is not the only culprit here; we (American society
>in general) and especially lawyers (no offense to any listers) are also
>to blame. In this days of the "Litigating States of America", nobody
>wants to assume any risks, because a sue-happy public and their lawyers
>will pounce on ANY situation where they can smell profits. When we
>started awarding $2.5 million dollars to a woman who burned her crotch
>with coffee that, knowing it was boiling hot, she STILL opted to put in
>between her legs wearing a skirt, while driving a car, that's when we
>began to lose the battle....

Not really. If you follow any of these high dollar (hence high profile)
cases you will find that most are lost on appeal. According to famed lawyer
Gerry Spence, 70% of these cases are thrown out on appeal. The press of
course does not seem as interested in reporting that part as they were the
original jury verdict.

> The other side of the coin is BIG money. The Willys-Overland Company
>lobbied VERY EFFECTIVELY to keep the hundreds of thousands of G503 jeeps
>from being returned to the US and sold as surplus; this would have been
>catastrophic to their attempts to sell a civilian version of the
>vehicle.

Y E S, I'm glad you brought this up, I forgot about it. There does seem to
be history of this sort of thing doesn't there?

je