Re: [MV] Willys, from a linguistic standpoint

From: Todd Paisley (paisley@erols.com)
Date: Thu Dec 09 1999 - 20:18:13 PST

> So I am to understand that if we are to correctly refer to the original
Mr.
> Willys and to the 1955 version of his descended company, we need to use
both
> pronunciations?

He was using that as an example. There is only ONE correct way to say
Willys. It doesn't have a thing to do with linguistics or where in the
world you live. We are not talking about how one says "tomato" or "creek".
This is a proper name. John North Willys pronounced his name "Willis". He
bought the company and placed his name on it. Therefore the company's name
is pronounced "Willis". There is a plethora of examples of the company
using this pronunciation in their advertisements long after his death. Any
other pronunciation is revisionist thinking or slang.

Todd Paisley