Re: [MV] Indian built WWII MVs

From: COLIN STEVENS (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 07:30:54 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Lars-Uwe Rudek <Rudek@shh-hamburg.de>
>"British" WWII 4x4 armoured car. It looked a bit like a Daimler
>Dingo, slightly bigger and with raised armour plates...shaped
>to give a silhouette like the British Chevrolet / Ford gun
>tractor...
...>Indian pattern Mk. 2 A Anit-Aircraft carrier, powered
>by Ford V-8 engine with 32 hp....32 ????
>I think it was pictured in India or Burma....

>Has anyone an idea what this is ?
**** Possibly a CARRIER, ARMOURED, WHEELED, I.P (India Pattern), MK> IIA
(Ford CO11QRF) 4x4 V-8-cyl. Indian hull on Canadian rear engined chassis.

****** Some info and photos survive in Canadian MV references.

>Has one survived ?
****** Yes. A hulk is in Burma in the bush near a railway station was
pictured in AFTER THE BATTLE (I can't recall which issue) in a centrefold
photo. I told the Canadian War Museum about it in case they wanted to try to
save it. Bart Vanderveen reported that 4,655 wwere built (6 different
'Marks' or models). There MIGHT well be one or more in Indian Army museums
or even still ibn use on the border of Pakistan / India.

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
& member B Coy 1 Canadian Parachute Battalion (Living History)
Pitt Meadows, British Columbia, Canada
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
1944 Willys MB