Re: [MV] Hummers

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 19:25:35 PST

acfarer@juno.com wrote:
> After aquiring a Humvee from DRMO, how does one go about making
> it DoT legal and drivable on the street? I have a possible lead on
> aquisition and don't want to go too far just to find out that I can never
> drive the thing, except off road. Any info will be appreciated.

Unless you're getting one from one of the two (or three?) recent
auctions (in which case you're buying through a regular dealer, not
from DRMO), I don't think you have any chance of getting a
street-legal HMMWV directly through DRMO. If you're considering one
that's listed in a DRMO auction, look very carefully at the
description in the catalog. Look in the official catalog, NOT the
"dynamic listing". It probably has a demil code which states that it
will be cut up and smashed before delivery, and that you won't even
get to keep all of the cut and smashed pieces. If not, it's probably
described as "residue". I've seen "residue" trucks at the local DRMO
lot before, and they're exactly what they sound like: the stain left
behind if you rub a truck against the ground.

I could be wrong here, but I think that if you want a street-legal
ex-military HMMWV, your only options are:

1. Buy one from another collector.

2. Buy one from one of the dealers who are selling trucks from the
   recent dealer-only auctions in Atlanta or Riverside.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/