Re: [MV] 24V electric winch?

From: King (landy@pacificcoast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 03:46:31 PST

>The procedure Uncle Sam suggests in the field expedients book is to use rope,
>rigged between the rear duals such that it winds between them as a winch drum.
>
>Not as sexy or convenient as electric winch mounted in bed, but lots cheaper.
>
>David
>
>There is such a kit for Land Rovers but what it has is extensions for the
wheel studs and a bar/plate that goes across.The rope is hooked to one end
of the bar or plate and the rope is wrapped around the extended wheel studs.

But the thing that really gets me is thier wire bridge.They have some way of
tightening to wire ropes across a gully or ravine and the wire is spaced
such that the wheels can ride on.I am not clear as to if they remove the
tires and ride on the rims or if there is a mini rim bolted to the existing
wheel studs with the tires on.Has anyone actually ever done this?I see the
pictures in the books but wholey cow man if you want excitement why no just
bungy jump off the empire state building?
Andre