[MV] Admin: List will move Wednesday evening

From: Mil-Veh Admin (postmaster@uller.skylee.com)
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 15:02:25 PST

The end-of-the-year crunch has once again distracted me, but
the good news is that I will be moving the list to the new
server on Wednesday evening. I wish I could have done it a
week or two ago, but this is pretty good timing.

The list address will remain mil-veh@skylee.com until I
upgrade my net connection to DSL. However, the current mail
server will forward list mail automatically to
uller.skylee.com for processing (uller is the machine
running MacOS X Server). This means that list mail will come
from mil-veh@uller.skylee.com, but you needn't worry about
the internals--you can continue to send list mail to
mil-veh@skylee.com.

The new commands for leaving and joining the list will be
easier than with majordomo. Rather than send different
commands to the same address, you will send a blank e-mail
message (no subject or body required) to different addresses
depending on what you want done with your subscription:

To unsubscribe:
  send any message to <mil-veh-off@skylee.com>

To switch to FEED mode (message-by-message):
  send any message to <mil-veh-feed@skylee.com>

To switch to DIGEST mode:
  send any message to <mil-veh-digest@skylee.com>

To switch to INDEX mode:
  send any message to <mil-veh-index@skylee.com>

(INDEX mode is similar to DIGEST mode, but you don't get the
messages themselves. This is useful if you just want to
peruse the Subjects and browse particular messages via the
web archive.)

Again, these administrative messages needn't have any body
or subject. The e-mail address you will send your message to
determines what happens.

To reach me, e-mail <postmaster@skylee.com>.

When I import the lastest list of subscribers into the new
list software, I will arrange for you to receive a brief
welcoming message. It will reiterate the above commands and
let you know that the new system and commands are active.
Message-by-message subscribers will still get individual
messages, and digest subscribers will still get digests
(speaking of which, I think digest #1000 went out
yesterday).

Just FYI, until I buy the list software the following will
appear at the top of each message:

*This message was transferred with a trial version of
CommuniGate(tm) Pro*

Once the list is up and running smoothly, I'll buy the
license and that tag will disappear. Then I will work on
getting accounts and web pages set up.

Again, I'll be moving the list Wednesday evening, though I
don't anticipate much disruption, if any. I have the next
day off so I will be able to monitor the cutover and jump in
if something goes haywire. The older machine will be
available as a backup, just in case.

Let me know if you have any questions.

--Arthur <postmaster@skylee.com>
  Mil-Veh List Admin