[MV] Got my HMMWV today!

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 21:19:55 PST

Pardon my ranting and gloating, but I got my ex-USMC HMMWV today.

                 WOOHOO!! Happy-Dance, Happy-Dance!

Ok, I feel much better now.

I don't have pictures of it yet... I had planned to have it towed home
(where my camera is), but after breaking down on the way to the truck
scales, I decided to have it towed to the hangar where I keep my
M109A3 2.5-ton shop van instead. I didn't like the idea of having the
tow truck push the HMMWV up my narrow driveway, and then later getting
stranded out on the street if my first attempt fixing it didn't work!
The hangar gives me plenty of flat, paved ground for testing the
truck, and there are plenty of folks around with vehicles that could
drag a dead HMMWV back to the hangar if I ran into trouble.

Luckily, the nice family living at the corner where my truck died
didn't seem to mind having my HMMWV sitting in their front yard for a
20 minutes or so, and let me use their phone to redirect the tow
truck. I'm glad I brought my strong friend Dan along with me... we
(well, actually just Dan...) had to push the truck around the corner
and up over the curb to get it off the street. I have a feeling Dan
won't be as eager next time I invite him to take a ride in one of my
trucks... :-)

I may get some pictures up on my web page by this weekend, and will
certainly have some up by New Year's.

I'm sure I'll need to find some parts, and may need some advice, too,
so expect a few more postings from me in the next week or two...

Shameless free plug: I had my truck towed on a flatbed by Blair's
Towing. I had seen their trucks around town, and they always looked
clean and well-maintained, so I decided to give them a try. Plus,
something about the company's name suggested integrity to me. :-) The
driver did a fine job towing my truck and inserting it in place in the
hangar. They're in Lake Forest, and service the area in and around
Orange County, CA. I wish I had brought my camera, so I could take a
picture of the HMMWV on the back of a tow truck with my name on it!

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/