Re: [MV] NO OFF-TOPIC POSTINGS (was Re: Seasons Greetings!!)

From: Ian Wallace (iwallace@uswest.net)
Date: Sat Dec 25 1999 - 00:06:37 PST

Arthur....

I have been using the Mil-Veh list for some time now and have not made any
comments regarding the management of the list. I finally have reached the
point when I feel I must say something.

The majority of the members of this list are veterans of military service.
Many saw combat, and as such sacrificed much for their country. I believe
that this list has as members some of the most patriotic and God fearing
persons on earth.

With said, I believe that the occasional wish for good health and other "non
military vehicle topics" do not detract from the stated purpose of the list,
in fact they strongly support it. I manage two web pages, one of which
receives hundreds of hits and emails each day. It is hosted on a
state-owned computer. I openly encourage the exchange of ideas and the
occasional greetings of the type you find offensive are accepted and
exchanged by the users.

Certainly the MV list could be cluttered with hundreds of "forbidden"
topics, but I believe that an occasional "Merry Christmas" will not bring
the system down, not will the members complain about having such a message
on their computer Christmas morning. How many of these message have been
posted to date? Three? Five? Certainly not a "flood" from the loyal 700.
Should someone feel that it's a nuisance, that's what the "delete" key is
for.

There are any number of other inane topics that spring up and their thread
continues for days - remember the "Willys" discussions? Little if anything
is mentioned about them, but for some reason a simple one line message
wishing others good health and cheer brings a slap on the wrist. This
bothers me. In fact it bothered me enough to write this email, which as you
can see, IS going to the entire list. Purge me from the list if you wish,
should you take offense, but may I suggest that others may feel the same
way. Should you decide to do so I understand it is your prerogative, whether
I or others agree or not.

We are a group of people from throughout the world with a common interest
and bond - those vehicles that helped make the world safer for our children.
Many made extreme sacrifices in doing so. I would hope that they have the
right to express a simple statement of hope to the rest of us.

OK, so I have stated my opinion. Should this strike a chord with any other
members, good. If not, I shall consider myself chastised.

Ian Wallace, Seattle
MVPA #20862

To switch to the DIGEST mode, send e-mail to <mil-veh-digest@uller.skylee.com>
Send administrative queries to <mil-veh-request@uller.skylee.com>