Re: [MV] Radio Suppresor Box

From: Lars-Uwe Rudek (Rudek@shh-hamburg.de)
Date: Mon Dec 27 1999 - 01:54:37 PST

>Just bought a NOS radio suppression box for the GPW..no label on it. The
>GPW usually had a nice brass Data plate attached... Anyone have a data plate
>for sale ??1SG PANTANO

Eugene + list / Lars

there were at least 3 different types used on the GPWs. Not all
of them had dataplates. I have one which is only marked by
a rubber stamp "GPW and G 503 and Number". There were also
types with a screen decal on the cover or underneath and I have
seen them with dataplates, however aluminum or zinc, not brass.
If you want to be correct, you need to check the type of the Supression
Box before deciding on the appropriate marking or plate. Does your's
have a hinged "door" type cover ? I believe these were the early ones.

Not only were the boxes differently marked, they also were of different
design...

Have you opened yours yet ? I have a NOS one with plain OD painted cover,
with a WILLYS screen decal on the surpressor under the cover itself !

I have never noticed any decals or plates for these on offer.

The trouble with GPWs is, that to one simple question you get at least
three answers, which only lead to more questions....!

I believe that the GPW is the most studied vehicle ever. I think on no
other vehicle, military or civilian, enthusiasts and collectors have bohtered
to discuss every single bolt and shim....but I like the way it is.

Lars-Uwe Rudek
MVPA # 14836
MVT # 8119
T.E.A.M. # 2