LD-465-1C turbocharger upgrade

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Thu Jun 14 2001 - 22:01:04 PDT

I was just taking down some information about my new 1970 Kaiser-Jeep
M109A3 2.5-ton 6x6 shop van for my web page (with a flashlight, in the
dark, and I banged my shin climbing up onto the bumper), and I wanted
to check on some facts before I update my page. I don't like to
propagate mis-information, and many (most?) of y'all seem to know a
lot more techno-historical information than I do.

The engine is a Hercules LD-465-1C, but it has a turbocharger. The
contract number has a "-68-" in it, which I assume suggests a 1968
contract.

Is it likely that this truck was issued with a normally-aspirated
engine, and the engine was upgraded with a turbocharger in the field?

Alternately, is it more likely that a truck of this vintage and model
would have been issued with an LDT-465-whatever, and it just had its
engine swapped with a rebuilt engine that happened to be upgraded from
a normally-aspirated core?

Are there any differences in function or reliability between an
upgraded engine and one that was born as an LDT-465 series engine? I'm
mostly just curious... this engine seems to run really well, and it
starts much more easily than any 465-series engine I've had the
pleasure of cranking. The only thing that bothers me is that it
DOESN'T DRIP OIL OR FUEL ON THE GROUND [cue Twilight Zone music]. :-)

Are there any construction details I could look for in my particular
engine that would tell me more about it? I'm no 465-series expert, but
with three of them in my fleet, I might as well become the local
expert! :-)

Is there any way to determine whether this engine might be original to
this truck?

In case you're interested, my 1972 AM General M109A3 has a White
LDT-465-1C, built in 1980 and overhauled in 1989, and which is
probably not original to the truck. I wish the Hercules dataplate
included the year of manufacture and/or delivery, too. I like to know
that sort of stuff.

Thanks in advance for any information!

P.S.: Several folks have asked me about shipping costs for a truck
like this. Without going into the gory details, the cost is Very
Expensive, because a double-drop low-deck trailer is generally
required. A regular deuce cargo truck would be Somewhat Less Very
Expensive, because it can be reduced to a height compatible with a
regular flatbed, and you would be more likely to be able to ship it as
a partial load. Just my own experience... your milage (and cost per
mile!) may vary.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://www.keyserver.net/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/