RE: [MV] A few more pictures

From: John Hutterer (john.hutterer@deltec.com)
Date: Wed Jun 20 2001 - 08:48:14 PDT

Brandon,

You may be right, but there are other possibilities.

The rig might have been confiscated by the Sheriff or by some Federal
agency. (Non-payment of taxes, hauling contraband, pick a crime) If it was
confiscated by a Federal agency, I believe that the Sheriffs department
could have obtained it for a minimal fee. I just attended a GSA sale here in
Minnesota. The sale was held at the State Surplus Center. I noticed that all
of the vehicles that were sold had prices written on them. I asked what they
were for. The prices written on the vehicles were what another government
agency (Sheriffs Department, Municipality, Civil Defense, Department of
Natural Resources, etc.) would have had to have paid for the vehicles, if
they had purchased them from the State Surplus Center. Since no authorized
agencies wanted these vehicles, the GSA was called to send in some
auctioneers to get rid of them at a public auction.

An M36, drop-side, 2 1/2 ton cargo truck in absolutely mint condition sold
for about $2200.00 at auction. The same truck would have cost the local
Sheriff $2000.00 to buy from the Surplus Center. The guy who bought the
truck for $2200.00 can sell it tomorrow for as much as the market will
allow. A government agency that buys the same truck from the Surplus Center
would have to keep it for 3 years before they are allowed to sell it. Maybe
they would get their $2000.00 back...and maybe not. The three year figure is
something that I found out about because I thought that I could get a better
deal on a surplus vehicle if I convinced a buddy of mine at the local city
shops to buy one in the name of the city, and then sell it to me. The only
way that he could legally do that was if I was willing to wait three years
to take possession of the vehicle. Thanks, but I guess that I'll just bid
for one, like everybody else has to.

I'm not saying that irregularities, improprieties, and down-right thievery
doesn't happen when government property gets transferred from one agency to
another. I don't think that you can just automatically assume that it does.
Just because the Sheriffs Department had enough pride to paint their name on
the side of the tractor doesn't necessarily mean that they are dishonest. I
would hope that the citizens of the county would be smart enough to figure
it out, if the local Sheriff was running a military surplus store as a side
business.

My .02 worth.

John