Re: [MV] 1 U.S Gallon = 4.5461 litres

From: Ron (rojoha@mediaone.net)
Date: Wed Jun 27 2001 - 08:42:57 PDT

Without cranking things up... Going back to the old days of high school
chemistry.....

    A liter is based on a reproducible measurement that can be duplicated
anywhere by almost anyone. The smallest unit is the milliliter which is the
volume contained in a hanging drop of fresh water at standard temperature
and pressure at sea level. Take an eyedropper or pipette and fill with water
and then empty it slowly one drop at a time into a container. A thousand
drops equal 1 liter. Works in Houston, Milan, London, Sydney....anywhere.
    Ounces is a nebulous concept at best, determined when some King decided
"It is what I say it is." I'm used to US measure, cause that's what I was
raised on, but the Metric system is much more elegant, but more important,
universal and reproducible which does not require an official keeper of
weights and measures in each provincial capital. Just a straw, water and a
bucket.
    If NASA had paid attention to ISO requirements and standards, we might
be hearing from Mars probes that were produced under parallel engineering
using NON Standards.
    And while we're on the subject of standards, why Miles per Hour and not
Furlongs per Fortnight?
    That idiot Ron.

PS USMC marked Jerry Cans mighta stood for......

 Universal Society of Measuring Cans?

 And were the cans "To Contain (TC) or To Deliver(TD) 5 gallons? And where
was the "Full" point in the can? Some many stupid questions, so little
bandwidth....