Re: [MV] Hood Number for my WC53

From: lou (lou@frontier.net)
Date: Fri Jun 29 2001 - 14:38:15 PDT

> I've never figured out the USA number logic - I just assumed they ran out
> of five digit numbers (20... being the prefix) and had to add an eighth,
> probably cause dby all those pesky jeeps they were making.

I to am curious about the hood number scheme. It's just not possible for a
bureaucracy not to have one (or for them not to change it often just to
confound future collectors and historians)! Also 20 is not always the
prefix. The 1951-1952 M38's are a good example. Harold West, who collects
M 38 hood numbers had this to say about a year ago:

"The thing that I want to know is what's with the 236XXXX hood numbers. They
do not fit any scheme that I know of. I have asked others and they do not
know either. There was also a 238XXXX and 239XXXX hood numbers. Somewhere
around late May or June 1951 they went back to the 20XXXXXX numbers starting
with 208XXXX."

So if anyone has any light to shed here it would be much appreciated!

Regards Lou