Re: [MV] M998 HMMWV accelerator problem

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 12:39:42 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: jonathon <jemery@execpc.com>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: 01 January 2000 16:47
Subject: Re: [MV] M998 HMMWV accelerator problem

>You know.... every injection pump has a governor built in else a Diesel by
>nature will NOT idle at all. Unlike a carbureted engine, a Diesel is an
>unstable contol system at idle and hence some form of governing function is
>required. Given your idle troubles and given the speed jumping around,
>maybe something has come loose or failed in that section of the pump?????
>If it was mine, I think it would be time to take the pump into a pump shop.
>The bench fee just to look it over isn't that much, the bigger p-in-the-a is
>taking it off.

Absolutely. Very symptomatic of a governor snag in the pump itself and a job
for the shop.

All diesels are governed for idle and max revs as a minimum, in this
configuration they drive more like a gas engined vehicle.

Many though have the pump so designed that the accelerator pedal just increases
the pressure on the governor "spring", it is therefore an RPM demand really
between the limits of idle and max allowable and behaves more like the "gas"
pedal is a cruise control.

Richard
(Southampton UK)