Re: [MV] M998 HMMWV accelerator problem

From: James Shanks (n1vbn@bit-net.com)
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 21:34:32 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: mblair1@home.net <mblair1@home.net>
To: Military Vehicles List <mil-veh@uller.skylee.com>
Date: Thursday, December 30, 1999 3:59 AM
Subject: Re: [MV] M998 HMMWV accelerator problem

>*This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(tm) Pro*
>
>"James Shanks" <n1vbn@bit-net.com> wrote:
>> >Hey, gang. I seem to have a problem with the accelerator and/or
>> >injection pump on my new 1986 M998 military HMMWV with the 6.2 liter
>> >diesel engine. The idle speed regulation is pretty poor; it'll idle
>> >slowly, then sometimes surge a little, or sometime surge a lot and
>> >then die. When I press the accelerator, there's a delay of a couple
>> >seconds before the engine begins to pick up, and then when I release
>> >it, there's a delay of a couple seconds before it slows back down.
>[...]

Mark,

        One other thought occurred to me last night, check the fuel pump
output pressure to the fuel injection pump. A friend I was talking to last
night has a 6.2 powered pickup that had the same symptoms as yours. $700
later after an injection pump rebuild it performed the same as it did before
the rebuild. Turned out the fuel pump that delivers fuel to the injection
pump wasn't delivering the rated pressure to the injection pump. He replaced
the fuel pump and it in his own words "Runs like new!! With 125,000 miles
on it". If I were you a fuel pump versus the injection pump rebuild is a lot
cheaper and a snap to change out versus the injection pump.

    Best of luck and kindly let us know via the MV server what you find
please.

James Shanks
The Line Below is my Ham Radio Callsign
n1vbn@bit-net.com
The line below is my Ham Radio Packet Address
n1vbn@N1VBN @ WB1DSW.NH.USA.NOAM