GPW Rear locking Hubs

From: Jacknshaw@aol.com
Date: Sat Jan 01 2000 - 20:34:24 PST

List,
This in followup to previous information that I posted.
I have had a substantial amount of Email requesting information on the
project.
Instead of answering all emails, I will give the information here.
In that posting, I indicated I had made up a set of rear axles for my 42 GPW,
with splines on both ends which allowed me to unlock all 4 wheels from the
complete drive train with a flip of the wrist for flat towing.
This takes about 8 seconds to unlock all four wheels. I already have locking
Hubs on the front.
After arriving at destination, switching back to the original axle takes
approx. 5 min. per wheel.
I don't enter my jeep in shows, so I leave the four locking hubs inplace all
the time.
Material purchased from Fry Steel Company (800)423-6651
One, 1-1/4"RD@ 94" long. Aircraft Alloy, Steel shaft, heat treated 4130 with
Rockwell hardness of 26-32. Cost 29.00
Two JC Whitney Mile Marker Hubs. Catalog #81fv5408b Cost Set 71.99
Four Snap Rings from McMaster-Carr.
for a 1-1/8 inch Shaft, groove diameter 1.059 Cost
04.00
Drivers side, rear axle Length 32-3/16"
Passenger side, rear axle length 23-5/8"
Distance in, from end of shaft. for first snap ring 1/2"
Distance between two snap rings 1".
Snap Rings fit against inner and outer face of locking hub. Secures the axle
from lateral movement. Allows very easy removal of axle and hub as a unit.
I duplicated the stock spline on both ends of the two axles.
I duplicated the diameter of the original axles.
I only have about 200 miles on the axles. I tow at normal freeway speeds,
plus.
If I notice any abnormal ware, I will have the ends hardened to a higher
number.
I am surprised that someone has not made up a lot of the axles, and then sell
them for a profit.
Jackson
'42GPW