Re: [MV] Feloney Posession of a MV....

From: Daniel Terp (dterp@tallcity.com)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2000 - 12:53:50 PST

If you have a valid historic vehicle registration for the vehicle,
wouldn't that constitute a contract with the state, i.e. to maintain
the vehicle for historic and archival purposes?

The cops here in NJ are always harping that owning a vehicle is not a
right, but a privilege granted by the state by virtue of owner
registration. This agreement carries responsibilities, and also
carries rights, as in the right to maintain and operate the vehicle
and store it on your property.

It seems to me that when you registered as historic, you entered into
a clear contract with the DOT, and that contract exempts you from the
provisions of Sec. 421 because you are operating by virtue of a
contract with a subdivision of the state government, the Michigan
department of transportation.

Of course, there's no guarantee the judge will see it that way-