Re: [MV] Various questions - jeep resto

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 18:11:18 PST

>2). Who would be the best type of business to trust my frame to? A body
>repar shop or a truck repair facility? Which could handle everything -
>cleaning, blasting repair and primer?

The later. I guess the biggest issue would be to find out if they do, and
have done, that kind of thing and to be able to see examples of thier work.
A freind of mine had a crane repair place fix his frame. It had a really
gorpy mess of stuff welded on as well as some new holes added. They fixed
it beyond the ability to tell plus sand blasted and 3 part epoxy primed it.
I guess you just got to call around. I am leary of auto body shops, not to
mention that alot of them won't even do this kind of thing and alot of them
also will not work on anything older. I know a guy that owns a body shop
and they won't even quote work on anything more than 10 or 15 years old.

> What is the best kind of blasting
>medium for general work?

Aluminum oxide.

>4). I have seen ads for the "line kits" in MV mags and wonder if they are
>worth it? I would have trouble identifying proper routing if I did my own
>and it would be nice to have everything I need to do it right.

It is a real plus to have the thing prebent so all you do is put it in.
Making lines in not that big a deal but then.... how original do you want it
to look?

je