BSA folding bicycle

From: Ch8595@aol.com
Date: Thu Jan 06 2000 - 23:24:22 PST

Hi. I dont know if any BSA folders were produced after the War but I have
been told that they were sold at Gimbles in Canada postwar. That could be the
reason why there are so many in the U.S.A. Besides the 20 or so in the
Listed in the club directory I have located about 15 more owners and get
calls now and than with offers to sell but I could by a Dodge 1/2 ton with
the prices they ask. Dont know how to date them. Have been told about 65,000
made?

 Markings:
 Steering head Decal: PAT-NO 543076 REGd. DGn. NO.838413 These came in silver
and gold letters. All three of the bikes I owned were silver letters. all my
bikes were high serial #s the one I still have is R 59563 located down by the
left rear axle. There is also a flat black broad arrow below the sticker (
/I\ )
 Vertical tube: There is a decal located between the crank and top of frame.
crossed rifles with B.S.A. underneath. Early bikes also came with duel down
tubes. I have a picture of a folder that folds in a different spot and the
handle bars are different.
 Seat will say (made in england B.S.A. model 40) and the seat frame and post
were painted semi gloss black on all three of mine.
 The wing nuts for the folding mecanism will sometimes have B.S.A. and
sometimes not
 The rims are 26-1/38 and are marked Dunlop
 Tire manufacturers are Dunlop, Michelin and have been told Avon. They are
marked WAR GRADE and so are the inner tubes
 The sprocket will have BSA on them.
 The grips are hard black plastic with crossed rifles and B.S.A.
letters.There is cardboard underneath the grips. They get them wet and the
cardboard swells and glues it self to the handlebars. They are really hard to
get off. I soaked mine in penatrating oil for a day and was able to get them
off with the help of a thin tapered shim.
The handle bars will have a wing nut looking thing on top to loosen and turn
it sideways.
The headlight holder on the steering head most of the time has crossed rifles
and B.S.A. letters.

 Please feel free to correct anything or add anything so next time I might be
an expert instead of thinking Im one. Sorry to bore all you guys who only get
around on four wheels.

Craig L Johnson MVPA #3642
!94? B.S.A folding bike
1940 Dodge VC-3