Stolen Tank

From: Gary Pavone (gpavone@thegrid.net)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 09:07:54 PST

The tank was stolen from an armory in San Diego. There was no ammunition
onboard. The thief was distraught over family problems that I won't go into.
He was also a former Army tank crewman and knew how to get into this
particular type of tank and drive it. His goal was to drive the tank to a
hospital he felt was responsible for his problems (this is speculation) and
do something. He didn't make it. He tried to drive the tank over a concrete
freeway divider and got hung up. San Diego P.D. officers boarded the tank,
opened the locked commander's hatch, ordered the suspect to stop (which he
didn't do), and the rest is history.

To me this has nothing to do with our ownership of military vehicles. I
would think that any of us who own armor would take adequate measures to
insure it's safety and to keep it from getting into the wrong hands. Just
like we would for anything else we own.

Gary Pavone
gpavone@thegrid.net
MCA# 43889