Need MV battery?-READ this.

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 13:09:03 PST

Guys,
     there have been several requests concerning batteries in M-151/M-38A1
etc lately.....

      If you're looking for some el cheapo batteries from Pep Boys to stick
in your MV, delete this now and buy a good fire extinguisher.......

     If you are concerned with installing the correct battery in your M
series jeep then please read on.

 Here's the dope......

M-151/A1?A2
M-38
M38-A1
M422/422A1
M-715 & M-37 also....

    All use the military 2 HN battery. They are available right now from
Star Electric . They have an ad in Military Vehicles Magazine almost every
issue. You don't subscribe to MV Mag? Geeze, how the heck do you expect
to know where and who has all the parts you need?

     OK, I'll give ya the data on these guys.
Star Electric......... Call Kevin Emdee in Kentucky at 270-877-0813 or
Jim (Zero) Davidson in Pennsylvania at 570-622-0554. Yes, they take
MC/VISA/American Express and can ship them UPS right to your door.
     They also have the 6 TL (formerly 6 TN) batteries that go in the
HummVee, 2 1/2 & 5 ton trucks and most later armored vehicles. I am not
associated with them ( they are friends though) so I have no stake in your
purchasing batteries from them (although Kevin once did buy me a beer! I
have witnesses!).

     Yes, I know, you just want something that fits in your battery
box..........Well, put the wrong size battery in your Mighty Mite and, when
you close the hood, that sizzling sound you hear will be the battery
terminals arc welding a hole in the hood! Oh ya, I've done it, but now I'm
smarter and use the right battery in my MV's.
        Huh, You say the battery compartment on your M-151 has lots of room
and you got size 24 car batteries in it and it works just fine? How do ya
hold em down? Oh, with one of them rubber bungie cords....... Been
there, done that. Only thing is the batteries seem to make those rubber
thingies slowly disintegrates so that when your driving, say off road, they
break. I have a nice battery cover with a arc welded hole in it from a
battery falling over and the terminals hitting it. Hoo wee! that was
exciting!

    Point I'm trying to make here is that sometimes it is better do do the
job correctly than to cut corners. In the long run you will be happier and
have less trouble.

PS...they might have a few of the 24 volt battery that the mil gen sets use
in stock too. (4 HN, I think)

           Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
               Great Lakes Chapter MVPA