Re[2]: [MV] Mil-Veh collection bad?

From: James Burrill (jburrill@dttus.com)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 14:15:18 PST

     Although I think the police were a little quick to shoot the guy, we
     weren't there and they were.

     I would like to think that since he wasn't doing anything in the
     drivers compartment other than not coming out and surrendering, that a
     less than lethal method would have been used, such as pepper spray or
     even tear gas.

     At least umtil it was obvious he was freeing the tank from the
     devider. As it was, I think I saw he threw a track in one of the
     longer "Fox Episodes" that I saw.

     Of course, on the other hand, there is always the philosophy a .30
     cent bullet saves the taxpayer an enormous expense.....

     Anyway. I think we really need to make our HMVs more visible on a day
     to day basis with good press. Parades are nice, MV flee markets
     attract other vehicle buffs, but we need to be seen in a friendly
     light in other areas. When has your club contacted the local Scout
     Council and offered to sponsor a trail ride and water way clean up?

     Lot of good press there. And yes, it is great to volunteer to help in
     a snow storm, but has the whole club made the contact before the snow
     hits? Showing up in the middle of a storm unannounced may be a
     distraction to the police rather than a help....they don't know what
     you can really do and may be afraid that you are a fruit.

     How about your club contacting the agencies that have these home bound
     people like the given Kidney example before the weather gets bad and
     work out your protocol. Then get the local paper to run a story.

     Lets get a new thread going... What ideas can you offer to the list to
     generate some good PR?

     Think out of the box !

     Cheers
     Jim Burrill