After Action Report! M114 Restoration

From: Jon Shoop (shoop19@idt.net)
Date: Sat Jan 08 2000 - 16:54:11 PST

I wound it up and drove it last nite. Tied up all the wiring, check out
operation of all lights, switches, checked fuel, Oil in crossdrive, engine
and transmission.......

All hubs and idler pumped with grease, tracks adjusted to spec.

Warmed it up and off we went. Tracked on line, brakes great, cooling temp
and all oil temp and pressures OK.

But the damn thing wont shift! Forward and reverse OK..........

Back to shop...and behold, the linkage is set up wrong...and the crossdrive
is down fluid...???(Air Lock!) OK now. Adjust the linkage to spec with
special tools....can't get to the linkage so special tools needed to be
made to keep from pulling the pack.

Remember!!!!!!!!! the manual...reading up on the transmission...it won't
shift until around 8 MPH...DUUUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!! we never went that
fast...Oh boy!

Warm up and out we go.....speeding up....to 8 MPH and WHAM......shift and
then away we went into the other gears...WONDERFUL.......drove around for
another hour getting used to turning and backing......In water gear will
turn with track locked...WHAT A BLAST!

OK...Back to the barn..it is cold and very dark.. Pulling in I have a
sinking feeling as I see a trickle of oil running out the bottom....

Transmission Leak....Converter or front seal.. won't know until I pull the
Pack...argggggg!!!!!(*%%$*^%*&)(*&_)(*_(&(^$$#^%$

Oh well..I never expected it to be perfect. Took the time to pop the lid on
can holding a depot rebuilt GM 305 transmission......TIME CAPSULE! Opening
it..the trans is rubber shock mounted. Spline and tale shaft protected with
caps,dissecant bag in the holder, converter gasket packaged nicely..and a
envelope tied to the trans. Opening it reveals the signed copy from the guy
that did the run in of the trans after rebuild..in 73! Full data on
performance in all ranges.....Was rebuilt in Bobbigen??? Germany. includes
a warranty card from the officer in charge of the rebuild facility...

Transmission is in fresh paint and appears new with rebuild tags affixed.
After all the years I had left this thing in my back yard, exposed to the
elements..rain, sun ....it is as new! Very happy here...now...in a week or
two, pulling the pack and a new transmission will be installed. Then to the
paint shop! If all goes well...Knob Creek in the spring.....

Take care....

Jon
a happy guy!