Re: [MV] Ruined Restoration Job

From: HUNTER_1L56@worldnet.att.net
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 12:14:43 PST

Robin makes a good point and one that I have given
consideration to as I am currently restoring an M151A2 to
the Viet Nam period. Here, for your consideration, are
my solutions. First for the front plate, in Nam (and
other places) most of the staff officers had a bracket
installed on the front bumper in which a plaquard could
be placed, when they were in the veh, which displayed
their rank. This was usually the size of the average
license plate. So you could make vinyl sleeve to fit
over the plate with your own rank and just cover the
plate with it. You might even be able to place pertinent
veh info on it as a "display plaque" to save a few dozen
questions. As to the rear plate, most units had an
insignia that was place in the middle of the spare tire.
Coincidently this is also large enough to accomodate the
average license plate and the height would conform with
most state vehicle codes. All that would be necessary is
to make a "quick release" clamp and run a wire up the
back of the spare with a bullet connector to disconnect
the light. So you have the option of cover 'em or remove
and store 'em. OR,----in my case another option is my
old unit, 101st Airborne Division, has an association
that us old timers can belong to. They have a real nice
license plate with the divisional emblem on it for
members that live in states where front license plates
are not required, to use on their personal veh's. If you
have such an organization maybe they have such an item.
Just order a couple and clip over the license plates when
appropriate. I do however, like your magnetic idea but
here in Calif you'd be lucky to make it to the end of the
block before somebody "souveniered themselves" with your
plates! Ok, down periscope and submerge.
Regards,
        Cliff