Re: [MV] Ruined Restoration Job

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Sun Jan 09 2000 - 13:42:26 PST

I am in the process of getting both of my MVs registered for the first
time, and I've also been wondering how I will mount license plates.
The magnetic plate idea might work well with my 2.5-ton, but I think
I'll need to try something different with my HMMWV, which has an
aluminum body. Furthermore, I plan to use my HMMWV as a semi-daily
driver, and I'd be a bit concerned about pilferage if the plate simply
pulled off without tools. I'm not sure if the fenders are wide enough,
but maybe I could build a bracket which hangs off one of the radio
antenna mounts. I wouldn't be able to pull the plate off quickly for a
show this way, but at least I wouldn't need to drill any additional
holes.

If I don't use a magnetic plate on my 2.5-ton van, I'll at least
investigate building a bracket which hangs off the bolts on the bottom
of the metal portion of the mud flap, so I don't need to drill any
more holes. I'm not sure what I'll do in the front, but maybe there
are some existing bolt holes on the bumper or frame which I could use,
or maybe I could build a bracket which clamps onto the bumper
securely, without additional holes.

For license plate lights, I figure I'll splice into a tail light wire
with a "Y" connector, and use the military rubber connectors, rather
than hacking up my wiring harnesses.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/