Re: [MV] M35 oil change

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 19:43:30 PST

"Todd Logan" <bugdaddy66@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Changing oil in my multi fuel m35 for the first time. Is there a drain for
> the oil cooler? I see a large plug in the bottom of cooler assembly, and a
> 1/2" pipe plug in the side of the housing under the filters. Also there is a
> petcock at the top/side of the oil cooler. Any help appreciated.

This topic came up here a few weeks ago. From your description, that
pipe plug sounds like the drain to me. My truck doesn't have a petcock
at the top of the oil cooler, but the regular drain plug has been
replaced by one. Based on various postings a few weeks ago, it looks
like replacing the drain plug with a petcock was a common modification
to these trucks. It was intended to allow you to take oil samples, but
it also makes it easy to drain the oil cooler without making a big
mess. I'm curious about how your truck differs from mine, or if it
doesn't, and I just misinterpreted your description.

Many folks have suggested letting the truck sit overnight after
draining the oil pan, and then re-draining it before removing the
filter bodies. This is supposed to greatly reduce the mess. The first
(and so far only) time I did it, I drained the oil, let the truck sit
for a week (overnight probably would have been sufficient), re-drained
the oil pan, and drained the oil cooler through a hose I temporarily
attached to the petcock. My filters came out with hardly a spilled
drop of oil.

Here's a picture of the petcock on my oil cooler, with the drain hose
temporarily attached:

    http://members.home.net/mblair1/tmp/mvc-191x.jpg

I couldn't get a better picture, because the personnel heater was in
the way. The fuel injection pump fills the bottom half of the picture,
and the petcock is near the bottom of the filter/oil cooler assembly.

I found doing an oil change on my shop van for the first time to be
easier and less messy than doing an oil change on my 4Runner, and
it'll only get easier after I've done it a couple of times.

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/