Re: [MV] MVs for the movies

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (whiskey@netwave.ca)
Date: Sat Jan 15 2000 - 06:09:54 PST

Hi all,

When we used to rent out our M-series stuff way back when, the contract would
specify one operator/maintenance tech with each, who would be paid at the 'extras'
rate. The producers never complained, because they knew that not only would the
vehicles in question remain operational throughout the shoot, but that they would
be driven 'professionally' on camera. It helped that some of us had done the odd
stunt in the business, so we were trusted to 'get it right'...

This arrangement had the added occasional benefit of the odd one of us getting a
small speaking role as well, considering we were already 'in part'.

The other aspect of rentals were, of course, the actors, most of whom (in our
pictures anyway) were brain-dead from birth. If it was specified that so-and-so
had to be driving, we would negotiate for a short 'driving school' course to be
administered by us shortly beforehand, and we would 'coach' the actor on the day
of the shoot itself.

The money more than made up for wear and tear on the vehicles, and it was a lot of
fun sometimes. Andreas is right, though - rarely do they want 'mint' vehicles, and
you do not want - or need - to rent the same out either. First of all, the
condition will rarely if ever show on screen, and secondly, depending on the
nature of the movie itself, a 'good' vehicle may indeed be well out of place. All
they have to do is look the part cosmetically, and run. Don't forget that to them,
these trucks are simply 'props'.

Hope this helps,

--
Regards,

Geoff Winnington-Ball MAPLE LEAF UP! ==> Zephyr, Ontario, Canada ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Maple Leaf Up - The Canadian Army Overseas in WW2 http://www.netwave.ca/~whiskey/mlu/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~