Re: [MV] CUCV alternator light turning on when started - solved!!!

From: F. Brian Mead (brian@hardscrabblefarm.com)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2000 - 11:40:14 PST

Howdy everyone,
    Thanks to everyone who responded to my plea for help. I followed a bit of
everyone's advice & lo & behold the problem is fixed. Here's what I did:

    Looking thru the -20 manual I started to follow the instructions for removal of
the instrument cluster. Removed the negative ground to the batteries, removed the
panel cover, started to remove the cluster & went: "Hmmm, remember that time I took
apart the 1976 Chevy truck dash for no reason since I could reach up behind it..." So,
I reached up & was able to feel the light bulb housings(ok so I'm a little slow
sometimes, so what.=^) ).
    Thinking that if the #1 Alternator light is bad, swapping the two should allow me
to test the lightbulbs. I swapped the lightbulbs, hooked the dash Voltmeter back up,
hooked up the batteries, and turned the vehicle on... BOTH LIGHTS WORK! And the
Voltmeter is reading halfway thru the green, like it should. Ok, I guess I had a
loose wire (I'm sure my wife would agree) and just swapping the two bulbs fixed the
circuit.

    Now I just gotta get the speedo & fuel gauge lights working They just didn't turn
on when I turned on the head lights 2 nights ago. I checked the bulbs (both good)
checked the fuse (good) but no light. Time to have a little fun. At least the
vehicle is runable for daytime driving.

Thanks again,
Brian Mead