Re: [WW2 VW] Re: Reproduction Kubelwagen for sale on eBay

From: Renaud OLGIATI (rolgiati@conexion.com.py)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2000 - 15:07:32 PST

KFJC@aol.com wrote:
> Comments on Ebay car @10k opening bid
>I do not know what this car is really worth, if you asked a coach builder
to make you one, you could spend more than 10k, if you bought the kit and
built it yourself mabey less than 5k if you have the donor car in good
running condition. You could always spend more, They very fact that the car
is wanted in the reproduction world verifys the desire factor. No one known
to me is reproing Pintos or Vegas !

>I guess it is worth exactly what it brings in a live auction market where
buyer and seller meet to determine the value on that day.

OTOH, what's the point in having such a repro which the owner will never be
allowed to bring to MV rallies, when he could, for about the same cost,
have a proper MV of similar performance ?

For someone who is seriously into MVs, such a car is of no interest; if
what he wants is to have an orgasm fantasizing he is a SS Sturmbahnfuehrer,
that's the sort of behaviour that (at least in Europe) gives MV collectors
a bad reputation; seen it often enough with twits trying to come to MV
rallies with VW181 or Ural side-car combinations fitted with Notek
black-out lights and painted in Afrika Korp colours.

My opinion is that a VW Type 181 is a quite nice MV, the owner can do it up
as a French Army, Bundeswehr or even Israeli Forces vehicle, and there is
no problem; but trying to pass it off as something from an earlier period
is both dishonest and pathological ;-(

<RANT-MODE OFF>

Cheers,

Ron the Frog, on the banks of the Paraguay River.
   MVT 886 Listmaster : WW II Wolkswagen List
   http://personales.conexion.com.py/~rolgiati/kubel/kubele.htm