Re: [MV] Fw: GPW/MB AC Fuel Pump - vapour lock.

From: Steve Malikoff MV list account (44gpw@phaedra.apana.org.au)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2000 - 13:08:51 PST

John said:
> >As GPW/MB readers will know, their fuel pump is made by AC. Now I can't
> >comment for the USA or other countries, but many of our post-WWII cars here
> >in Australia also had AC fuel pumps. Some of these post WWII vehicles came
> >with a glass bowl cover for the fuel pump.
> >I haven't got a fix for it yet, but I thought other jeep owners might like
> >to know of it if they get these symptoms. Get a glass bowl cover & try it.

Yes, I agree with John here. Many of our jeeps seem to have the glass AC
bowl (I swapped my metal one for glass) and it certainly helps on these nice
hot summer days we have. I ran the bottom of the glass bowl over a diamond
sharpening stone to make sure it was absolutely flat, and with a good gasket
and well tightened top it seems to have cured my vapourisation problem. I
also wrapped 2cm fibreglass ribbon around the fuel pipes (held on with small
jubilee clips) and that also seems to reduce the problem. I have heard of
soldering small metal fins to the pipes and whilst it would work well I'm
sure, it would not look very nice.

The worst vapourisation I had was when I was camping and got caught in the
great bushfires of early '94. I was on a mountain trail with the fire only
metres away and getting close fast. Luckily the jeep kept running (I had such
severe problems a few days before with the heat, I had to disconnect the main
fuel line and ran a plastic line from the tank straight to the pump). That
was a close shave, and I seriously thought of putting an electric pump in
under the body in case I got caught again. However, I didn't need to do that
after I made sure the pipes and bowl were _tight_, it seems to be ok these
days.

Steve.
steven@phaedra.apana.org.au