MVPA write-in vote correction

From: jim gilmore (jgilmore@oeonline.com)
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 11:29:20 PST

     Last week I replied to several members questions regarding the status
of write-in votes in the recent MVPA elections. After my posting, I
received a phone call from the MVPA president correcting my statement.
According to him, it was neither the MVPA president nor the MVPA board that
made the decision that the write-in votes were not to be counted. He
stated that since the MVPA bylaws do not specifically ALLOW write-in votes
they were then invalid and no decision was needed. I countered that since
the bylaws do not specifically PROHIBIT write-in votes that they should be
valid. A lengthy (and lively) discussion ensued and in the end we agreed to
disagree on the subject. After his call, I sent a letter to my friend and
MVPA board member Garrick Smith to get his input on the subject.

>Garrick Smith wrote back:
> Quote: The decision not to count the votes was not taken unilaterally
by Lee. The Board concurred that write-in ballots would not be valid or
counted. I do not agree that the By-laws do not specifically prohibit
write-in votes. According to the By-laws, only qualified nominees approved
by the Board can run for election. So if a name was written in and that
name was not approved by the Board, then it was an invalid vote that was
not to be counted. Remember on the ballots that had write-in votes, only
the write-in name was not counted. If other names were marked on the
ballot they were counted.
>End quote.

        So, I stand corrected. It seems to be a case of "Catch 22". Even
if a Candidate has all the qualifications required to run for the board,
he/she must be "approved" by the current board to be put on the ballet. A
qualified Candidate who is not "approved" by the board (they don't have to
give a reason) can run on a write in campaign, however the write in votes
will only be counted if they are for an "approved" Candidate.
    Of course if you were "approved", you would be on the ballot in the
first place.............

  The sitting board has complete control over the decision of who the
members will be "allowed" to vote for and the prospect of a "reform" slate
of Candidates is an impossibility under the current bylaws.

     Perhaps some changes in the bylaws might be in order here to insure a
fair and equitable nonination process and give the members the decision of
who shall, and shall not, sit on the board..........

           Jim Gilmore MVPA # 5843

Member Ist Michigan AOD Chapter MVPA
               Great Lakes Chapter MVPA
               Ohio Motor Pool Chapter MVPA