MVPA write-in

From: Amikesomm@aol.com
Date: Wed Jan 26 2000 - 21:52:13 PST

.......and once again from Virginia, that calm voice of reason (me)
speaks his weighty words of wisdom......... *ahem*
(if you guys aren't laughing already, you have NO sense of humor)

    Hey guys (and gals), if the mvpa rules are not specifically clear, it's
up to your board members to interpet them, right? If they interpet them to
mean write ins are completely unacceptable without prior approval by the
board, then all you who send mvpa your hard earned nickels need to make a
policy change if you feel that's wrong.
    Seems to me that if a write in has enough votes to out vote an approved
candidate for membership, then the sitting board needs to evaluate his
qualifications and decide whether or not he is "fit" to serve. If they
decide yes, he's in. If they decide no, he's not.
-If he "don't got the votes, it ain't an issue".
    Sure it's reminicient of the good 'ol boy method of leadership and
teamwork that we Southerners are so very fond of, but if it's not what you
want, you need to change it in whatever manner your bylaws allow. I'm on
the board of directors of a fairly interesting small company (if only it paid
better!!) and we allow anyone who wishes to to run for the board of
directors, and let the shareholders decide. That includes someone standing
up at the last minute before voting and announcing their decision to run. We
assume the shareholders (who take a VERY active role in the company and it's
doings, and are physically present at most of the meetings) are able to make
up their minds and will vote accordingly, BUT that's already a part of our
bylaws. And the sitting board is the interpeter of the bylaws in all cases.
    So fix what you don't like, and support what you like. After all, it's
your association, right?
..........cool, I can see the forest from here!
Mike in the cheap seats

(As a plug for Lee Holland, I must say whether you agree with him or not on a
particular issue is not the issue. Now that I've gotten to know him he
strikes me as a good guy, a competent leader, and definitely a great believer
in preservation of our military heritage in many shapes and forms)
ps - still looking for vinyl M37 cabcover....... *laughter*