Best Way to get a "restored" MV

From: Dean L. Kellogg, Jr (kelloggd@uthscsa.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2000 - 07:53:12 PST

HI Listees,

I am in the midst of a search for a pretty well restored M8 Armored Car. I
have actually secured spousal approval for this PROVIDED THAT I GET ONE
THAT IS "WORTH THE MONEY!" (see below for explaination)

My question is: "How do I get the best vehicle for the money?"

I ask this to avoid a problem with my last MV purchase that prompted the
above spousal stipulation. I had a rather disappointing experience with my
"original, restored "1943 GPW, finding out 6 months after purchase that the
engine was a post war CJ type rather than the original as it was supposed
to be. (A nice camo job by the prior owner made finding this out
hard...BUT thanks to Jim Gilmore I found the truth).

ANYWAY, how can I minimize the chances of getting a non-original or
modified vehicle as happened before? I have armed myself with all the TM's
I can find from Portrayal Press and am studying them in detail (oh for more
photos!) I have gotten and continue to get excellent advice from this list
(special thanks go to Doug Greville and Claude Vaughn). I have asked
specific questions of potential sellers about modifications, etc. (as I did
with the GPW). I will try to go look over a restored M8 that is a 3.5 hour
drive from me prior to purchasing one. And I am entertaining getting the
assistance of one of the "MV finders".....What do you think? Any similar
experiences, problems, suggestions, etc? Have any of you used "finders"?

Pondering my moves,
Dean

       * Dean L. Kellogg, Jr., MD, PhD *
       * Department of Medicine *
       * The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio *
       * 7703 Floyd Curl Drive *
       * San Antonio, Texas 78229-3900 *
       * (210) 617-5311 FAX (210) 617-5312 e-mail:kelloggd@uthscsa.edu *