230 manifolds stuck tight!

From: Gil Huguley (Gil@huguley.com)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2000 - 15:24:06 PST

I got all the nuts off the intake and exhaust mainfold assembly on my M37. A few of the studs came out instead of the nuts coming off, but that doesn't bother me as I was going to replace them anyway. What seems to be a problem is that one of the long studs on the bottom broke right below the nut. The manifold assembly refuses to come off. Could there be enough rust around that broken stud to prevent the assembly from sliding off? I can wedge a screwdriver down between the manifolds and block, but I am afraid to drive it in harder for fear of breaking the brittle cast iron. Maybe I should lay the engine over on its side and soak the broken stud hole with penetrant for about a week. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks,
Gil