Re: [MV] 230 manifolds stuck tight!

From: Gordon.W.I. McMillan (gwim2@student.open.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 10:12:14 PST

Got this particular t-shirt myself.

if the manifold design is like the earlier 230's, the problem is that wo
of the stud actually go through the exhaust stream. Whn you try to undo
them they shear just below the head, then when you try and prise them off
the rust around the bolt INSIDE the manifold locks it up and stops it
coming off, even if it will pull back 1/4" or so.

I ended up breaking two manifold blocks, as when you try to drill down the
bolt the drill just runs off. I suppose if you turn the engine on its
sdie and soak it you could then drill the broken stud centre and try to
turn it out or break it off closer to the inside face. As a fall back
position you might want to remove the inlet manifold first so at least you
have one saved.

Don't shed any tears over them if they do break, as they tend to be pretty
cheesy anyway, then take a firm grip on your wallet and call VPW.

Gordon