Re: [MV] Alleged Unsafe Operation of Vehicle

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 11:22:40 PST

I have never met Frank Buck, and don't know any more about him than that he
has a large vehicle collection. I did watch some of the large and armored
vehicle movements at Tobyhanna in 1998, and think that the safety
precautions were not well taken. One of the first things I noticed was a
seemingly casual attitude on the part of the observers stationed on or near
the vehicles to guide the driver. There were no constant controlled
movement lanes for the vehicles, and while the lanes were active, there
wasn't any strong presence of crowd control (if any was present). I managed
to avoid all the car crushing events, but I heard some people commenting on
how they thought people were allowed too close to the event.

Like I have said before, it only takes one dead civilian to set off the
worst case scenario of events, and we could be legislated out of existence.
I don't think this event if true disqualifies Frank Buck from being on the
board, but it certainly makes me want to know what the board intends to do
about publishing and enforcing safety guidelines for events, or adopting
standard ones in practice by other organizations (like the EAA, perhaps). I
think the board should consider limiting endorsements only to those non-MVPA
events which comply with these guidelines.

Does the MVPA have a safety officer, or risk managment supervisor/designee?
Has the MVPA ever sponsored a safety clinic for its members? Definitely
something you should ask for if you are paying your dues...

Alan, thanks to you for mentioning the safety check list. I think a good
start for this is the DA Label 76, of Jan 73. This is the yellow decal
which was affixed to all M series vehicles starting in the 60's. The part
it seriously and unfortunately misses is that you should have an assistant
driver with you as often as possible, and make sure he or she knows as much
about your vehicle as possible. If you think about your driving history,
and your experience, you will see that every point has some relevance. Here
is what it says:

A GOOD DRIVER

1. IS A SAFE DRIVER
2. Is proud of his driving record and his vehicle.
3. Checks his vehicle before starting and at halts.
4. Checks oil, water, tires, parking and service brakes, lights and turn
signals, and battery daily.
5. Warms up the engine before moving out.
6. Does not move his vehicle until his SEAT BELT and those of all
passengers have been fastened. (for vehicle equipped with seat belts)
7. DOES NOT DRINK ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WHEN HE HAS TO DRIVE.
8. Has Equipment Utilization Record (DA Form 2400), other essential forms,
road map, spare tire, and tools.
9. Keeps vehicle clean to include windshield, all windows, lights, and
reflectors.
10. Keeps vehicle lubricated and bolts tightened.
11. REPORTS ACCIDENTS PROMPTLY.
12. Reports vehicle troubles promptly
13. Obeys speed laws, rules of the road, and traffic signs.
14 Maintains proper distance from vehicle ahead.
15. SMOKES AT HALTS ONLY.
16. Is properly dressed.
17. Supervises and checks his load.
18. Is courteous and helpful to others.
19. Secures vehicle when it is unattended.
20. SERVICES HIS VEHICLE BEFORE IT IS PUT AWAY.