Re: [MV] Alleged Unsafe . . .

From: JOHN SEIDTS (john@astory.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 11:32:43 PST

>This stated safety policy would serve as yet one more reason why
governments
>everywhere should look friendly on us.
>Jack Lee

Not only that, but it MUST be the basis of any organized effort to integrate
your private vehicle into disaster relief, snow emergencies, and other
volunteer services. Nobody will look at you seriously if you are operating
in any kind of group without a strong safety policy. Worse yet, you will
have much trouble securing use of public property, or even commercial
property, if you have a bad reputation. More follows below...

>People who seem irritated over this issue really are not thinking it
through.
> This is important and it needs full discussion with action by our board of
>directors. We've had some very good ideas/suggestions and such things
would
>only reflect well upon the responsible, safety conscious attitude of this
>organization and its membership.

...Agreed. If you are on this list, and not thinking about this issue in
serious terms, look out. Even though the event at Indiantown Gap was not an
MVPA event, it bears mentioning on this list for several reasons. The event
sponsors, part of the DOD, tightened restrictions on vehicles this year.
Motorcyclists had to wear helmets, drivers of vehicles which would carry
passengers had to attend a mandatory safety briefing. This was not anything
imposed by a dictatorial government- they just tried to get the re-enactors
to comply with the DOD and Pennsylvania State Laws which are enforceable on
post. Last year, one of the military representatives who was in charge of
supporting the event stopped a motorcycle full of un-helmeted riders,
obviously overloaded, just to tell them to slow down and be careful. The
occupants basically told the individual to pound sand. IT ALMOST COST THE
REENACTORS USE OF THE GAP THIS YEAR. So if you think this issue is
overblown, go ahead and say tsk tsk. Safety is important because some of us
like to come home to our families after going out and PRETENDING ( no matter
 what you say, that is what we are doing) to be in the military for a day or
two. You want war, bullets, and death, go join the foreign legion.