SAFETY

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 07:59:28 PST

Hello folks!

An association safety guide wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as it's based on
common sense.

Now, anybody has the right, nay, the responsibility to wave the caution flag.
It is the inherent responsibility of the vehicle operator to heed such warnings.
Unlike the armed forces, who not only have the rules and regulations -
enforcable through courts martial, Non-judicial punishment, and the knuckle
sandwiches of Sergeants immemorial (hey, I did it once)- AND a nice $100,000
Servicman's Group Life Insurance policy, we must create our own safety
infrastructure, to guide and advise our civilian operators, and protect us
against KNUCKLEHEADS who don't think. (Like the jackasses who brought about the
need for jeep de-mil "for the good of the public". Pa-tooie!)

I think we should have one week out of the year set aside as SAFETY stand-down
week, where local organizations gather their vehicles for an advisory safety
inspection - just to focus attention on safety related components and note
repairs that should be made. Failing that, perhaps a hip pocket publication
outlining common safety practices (ground guides, wheel-chocks,
fire-extinguishers, etc.) given to every MVPA member that requests it. Maybe
make it a requirement to carry safety related documents aboard the vehicle at
MVPA events. (For those of you who were in and had a military license, remember
the once a year refresher, and the docs you had to carry before you left the
motor pool?)

Anyway, this isn't to crucify anyone, and there's a good chance that there's
another side to the Frank Buck story (There are a thousand reasons he might have
done something that looked unsafe, I can't say, I wasn't there.) And I have
noticed that even the most experienced folks sometimes need to step back and
review things from time to time. No good can come of flaming and ranting.
Let's concentrate on making our hooby and gatherings safe, and peer pressure
will take care of the rest.

Thanks for listening, I'll get back in my hole now...

Bill