Re: [MV] I went through red light in Jeep once "allegedly" lets talk about this for a week. Come on!

From: William R. Benson (Benson@eqe.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 14:33:42 PST

I love it! The safety police! Wonderful!

Tell me, folks, how do you like the Easter egg hunt for uncut M151 jeeps, or
watching the military run their tractors and bulldozers over perfectly good
trucks in compliance with de-mil requirements.

This is what happens when people draw attention to themselves by not
understanding the limits of their MVs capabilities and then exceeding them,
rolling themselves up into little jeep colored balls because they pulled some
stunt like a high speed 90 degree turn on dry pavement BECAUSE NOBODY TOLD THEM
THAT IT WAS UNSAFE TO DO SO... And thus those of us who grew up driving
military jeeps get to pay the price... I'd show you my jeep, BUT I DON'T
FRAGGIN' HAVE ONE 'CAUSE THEY'RE SO FRAGGIN' OVERPRICED BECAUSE OF THEIR
INAVAILIBILITY!

Pooh-pooh safety, and give Ralph Nader and his counterparts more ammunition with
which to regulate and eventually shut us down because we obviously can't be
trusted with old green painted trucks.

At this stage, I don't care if Mr. Buck painted his vehicle hot pink, donned a
tutu, and danced the dance of the sugar plum fairies. I'm more concerned with
the apparent distain that I see some folks displaying towards wanting the keep
Big Brother out of our MVs through a little bit of self policing.

Come on, folks, this is not the way the game is played.

One last thought for you, and then I get off of the soap box. Take a look at
the insurance rates for a motorcycle pilot who has not gone through any safety
training, and then take a look at the insurance rates for a fellow who has gone
through the American Motorcycle Association (or its international counterparts)
Motorcycle safety course. You'll see a dramatic REDUCTION IN PREMIUMS PAID.

Hello? Official organizations with recognized safety courses equals less money
I have to spend...

Okay, rant mode off...

Bill Benson
(future MVPA board member? Who knows...)