Witnesses to the Unsafe Driving

From: The Jeep Dogs (jeepdogs@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2000 - 15:12:51 PST

Folks,

Below are two messages I received on the subject which confirm SOMEONE was
driving irresponsibly. Unfortunately, I deleted the original post that made
me begin thinking about it and since I am on a HOTMAIL account, it was
permanently gone before I decided to post it to the list. I've attempted to
find it in the WWII reenactor's archives, without luck.

As the incident was described in the original posting to the best of my
recollection follows:

The incident involved high speed driving off-road near reenactors and
spectators. It also involved driving directly at reenactors at high speed
and and sharply cutting at the last minute to avoid hitting them. The
driver apparently was aware of his proximity as he was observed to be
laughing at the guys he was driving towards. A couple of individuals
attempted to stop the driver but he continued to laugh and drive away. At
one point, when the vehicle did stop, one individual did talk to the driver
(who refused to come out of the vehicle) and he said he wasn't endangering
anyone. He just laughed at the guy on the ground.

At a later point, the driver cut through an area off-road where a German
reenactor unit was in concealment with their PaK 37 gun. Seems he missed
this field piece only slightly......supposedly only by inches, even if by a
few feet, too close.

The original writer ended by calling the driver by name: Frank Buck. He
expressed no reservations about the identity of the individual and expressed
a 100% positive ID.

MESSAGE #1:

>From: *****@prominet.com
>To: jeepdogs@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: [MV] Alleged Unsafe Operation of!!Vehicle&In-Reply-To=<list
>-71368@uller.skylee.com>
>Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 12:39:24 -0500
>
>Regarding the alleged unsafe operation of a vehicle at the Jan 28th - 30th
>Battle of the Bulge
>re-enacting event held at fort indiantown gap, PA.....
>
>I was there participating as a U.S. GI, and was in the lineup when a VERY
>LARGE tank was ripping down
>the open area behind the lineup of re-eanactors and between the small
>building.. There was a number of
>spectators VERY close to this tank when it was moving...
>
>I, along with many other re-enactors in line with me commented on the
>dangerously closeness to the crowd of
>people, as well as us re-enactors.
>
>I thought it funny how the GAP people running this event made every effort
>to keep possible accidents at a minimum
>by instating mandatory driving classes for all drivers of period vehicles
>at this event.. Only to see this happen..
>I remember watching every little ww2 jeep moving at a walks pace witth a
>point man walking dierectly in front of each vehicle while
>in the immediate vicinity of any people or crowds... Yet, this guy ( I
>don't know who it was ) in this tank was just tearing up the
>locale at a very high rate of speed near lots of people...!!!!!! I don't
>get it!!! Was the driver of this tank cited????
>It was a bad scene, and luckily the tank didn't throw a track or go out of
>control, be-cause lots of people could have gotten hurt...
>
>feel free to re-print this ad.... I was there... the rumurs are fact....

MESSAGE #2:

I do not know Frank Buck. I do not know that he operated an unsafe vehicle.
do not know what an M-18 is.

However, I do know that a tank that looked like a TD with M-60 bogies
barreled past my buddies and me, not only within inches of reenactors
walking
down the road, but clipping or just missing (what appeared to be, couldn't
tell for sure) another allied vehicle. The speed of the tank was so unsafe
and in close proximity to reenactors, I actually turned around to take a
picture of it, and have a photo of this vehicle as it raced past us.

I do not want to get into a pissing contest, but do want you to know that at
least 10 people witnessed it, and I have a picture of the vehicle. The
vehicle is clearly
marked, and the driver is quite visible.

I hope this provides some proof that there was indeed some incident. Since
Mr Buck is implicated, I would sure like to hear his side of the story.
Despite being in the middle of a move from OK to TX and having just moved
into a house that does not yet having a phone (all my e-mails are being done
from work via LAN) I plan to contact Mr Buck and get his side of the story.
My phone should be hooked up on Wednesday. Number is supposed to be: (210)
491-5957. I am willing to talk about this with anyone interested. I am
especially interested in hearing from Mr Buck though.

Jim Rice
MVPA 16814
San Antonio, TX