Re: [MV] Bubble balancer for MV wheels?

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 06:21:53 PST

>..
>I figured I might buy an appropriate bead-breaking tool (either a
>traditional tire hammer, or the slide-hammer variety) from Ken-Tool
>(www.ken-tool.com), simply because that's the only place I've found
>that offers them (with pictures) so far in my on-line searching. I'm
>leaning towards the slide-hammer type, which should be very
>understandable to anybody who has seen me swing a regular hammer and
>lived to tell about it... :-)

The hammer type works well but.... you need to have good aim else you can
make nice marks in the rim, you need to hit it just in that right spot for
that spoon'ish end to go uner the rim and knock the bead down.

> A tire cage might not be a bad idea,
>either, though I'm less concerned about bolt-together rims than
>split-ring rims.

Wrap a chain around the wheel (thru the center hole) at a number of places,
like 6 or so. This works! We found out for real airing up a split ring
(that's what I call it anyway, a larger version of an M715 wheel) wheel that
did let go. You will need a clamp on air chuck mind you!!!!! Even so, the
force of the air blew the hair and some skin of my buddies hand that was
inches away from the outer diameter of the rubber (not the wheel). Left
indent marks of the chain in the ring also!!!! I just take my stuff to
truck tire place, or your nearest truck stop garage.

Good luck,

je