Re: [MV] MV: Tanks for nothing! News from DC

From: Glenn Shaw (dogstar918@mediaone.net)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2000 - 09:59:17 PST

Hi
I agree it seems to be a very MV related thing. Anyway, I just got a call from a
MSG friend of mine who was telling me that this whole LOSAT thing was tossed
around for a while within the Army before it became a public statement by the
Pentagon brass. Army Times had a writeup on it a couple of weeks ago. Since then
apparently there has been a lot more discussion in the Army over it and it seems
that the latest opinions are that there will be changes and modifications of
tactics re. Armor and support elements to adjust for new weapons encountered as
needed, but that the MBT in force is still a very usefull element. There are 2
armored divisions presently and they have been reassured that they are not history
but may see some changes. Further it was reported that these new LOSAT weapons
are so high tech and costly that it will be suprising if many are ever encountered
at all in the hands of opposing forces in the near future.

Glenn Shaw MVPA