Re: [MV] M-37 Question of the Day: Dual Master Cylinders and Drum Brakes

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 20:02:31 PST

>It states that the best replacement for the origianl single res. M/C is a
>1978-1981 Chevy C30 1 ton MC its carQuest part# is 20-1584 and it has a 1-5/16"
>bore which is closer to the original bore size of 1-3/8".
>
>And then I read this:
>"Unfortunatly it is for 4 wheel disc so you may have to install residual
>pressure check valves."
>
>I went to my next door neighbor, and showed him the entire posting, and he
>immediately identified the Master Cylinder, but when I showed him the part
about
> the RPCVs, he went , "Huh?"
>
>Would somebody care to include a part number for this valve system, or
>assurances that I don't need them? And what about a proportioning valve
for the
> rear brakes. Yes, no? Part number?

I would suggest that you scrub the post you mentioned. The best way to
avoid problems, unless you have someone who can tell you, is to take a
stroll true your friendly salvage yard and look over many brake systems.
If your retrofitting a truck with 4 wheel drums then find a vehicle with 4
wheel drums and make a note of it. There is a gm unit that was very popular
that I put on my 715 that was used on the corvair and a number of other gm 4
wheel drum vehicles of the day for example. If you really want to go the
above route you might try a speed shop, they seem to have all kinds of
goodies that you won't find at an auto parts store.

je